- No. 1 best college for your money in North Carolina (Money)
- No. 3 veterinary medicine program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 5 best value among public universities nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 6 college of natural resources nationally (USA Today)
- No. 6 nationally in online graduate computer and IT programs (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 8 return on investment nationally for degrees in science technologies (U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard)
- No. 9 nationally in online engineering programs (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 9 online MBA nationally (Princeton Review) and No. 18 online MBA in the world (Financial Times)
- No. 9 best value for out-of-state students among public universities (Kiplinger’s)
- No. 13 nationally in graduates hired by the top 25 companies in Silicon Valley (HiringSolved)
- No. 13 college of engineering among public universities (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 14 undergraduate business program among public universities (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 15 statistics program nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
- No. 16 nationally in preparing graduates for jobs (Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- No. 18 best value for in-state students among public universities (Kiplinger’s)
- No. 20 nationally among colleges specializing in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (Forbes)
- 11 graduate programs among the top 30 in their field nationally (U.S. News & World Report)
NC State students won one Goldwater scholarship, one Truman scholarship, one Churchill scholarship, seven Fulbright scholarships and 25 National Science Foundation graduate research fellowships in the 2016-2017 academic year.
25 faculty are members of the National Academies.
Two faculty members in the College of Engineering — Paul Turinsky, professor of nuclear engineering, and Jay Narayan, the John C.C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering — were elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
Frances Ligler, Lampe Distinguished Professor in NC State and UNC-Chapel Hill’s Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.
Amstat News ranked NC State No. 1 in the nation for producing statistics Ph.D.s.
Forestry professor Steve McKeand was honored by the UNC system Board of Governors for his work supporting family farmers through the Tree Improvement Program.
The National Science Foundation presented its prestigious Early Career Award to 11 NC State researchers in fields spanning chemistry, civil engineering, electrical and computer engineering, mathematics, materials science and engineering, mechanical and aerospace engineering, and statistics.
The James B. Hunt Jr. Library was named a 2016 Landmark Library by Library Journal.
Corbin Kling, a planetary geology Ph.D. student, won a prestigious NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship in planetary science. He will use drones to create high-resolution 3-D models of sites in the U.S. and Iceland to understand the processes that govern pit crater formation on planetary surfaces.