Believe it or not, the last day of classes for the Fall 2018 semester is just a few weeks away (December 7). As the semester begins to wind down, University Housing wants to make sure you are aware of what you will need to do before leaving campus.
- Non-graduating students in residence halls are expected to leave university housing 24 hours after your last exam and no later than 10:00 a.m. on December 19, 2018.
- The residence halls close but Wolf Ridge and Wolf Village will remain open over the semester break.
- All graduating students (residence halls and apartments) must plan to check out of university housing by 6:00 p.m. on December 19, 2018.
Students Not Returning for the Spring Semester
If you are not returning to NC State and University Housing for the spring semester, you should make plans to move out of housing by the deadlines listed above. If you have not already done so, please complete a housing cancellation request in the housing system which is accessed through MyPack Portal. Once you are ready to leave campus, please do the following:
- Make sure you have removed all personal items from your room
- Remove any trash from the room/apartment
- Close and lock all windows, turn off all lights, unplug microfridge, close and lock all doors
- Review any additional check out procedures for your particular community
- Return your key(s) to the area Service Desk or to an RA, as instructed your building staff
Students Returning for the Spring Semester
If you are planning to return for the spring semester, we ask that you do the following before leaving for the semester break. If you are returning to your same residence hall space for the spring, you do not need to turn in your keys. The residence halls close, but Wolf Ridge and Wolf Village will remain open over the semester break. When you leave for the break, please follow the same checklist.
- Set room thermostat: Depending on your unit, either set the thermostat to 68° or set the temperature to the middle setting and the fan speed to low
- Shut and lock all windows and doors
- Lower and close blinds
- Turn off and unplug all appliances and electrical devices, including microfridge (Students in apartments do not need to unplug large kitchen appliances.)
- Remove all trash and recycling, placing them in appropriate receptacles outside the community
- Pack and take valuables and personal items you may need over break, including but not limited to: Driver’s license, passport, travel documents, medications, chargers, laptops, tablets, cell phones, favorite outfits, keys, notes, books, and any other item you think you might need while you’re away. Students in residence halls will not have access to their buildings during the break.
- Make sure there is no water running (sinks, shower, etc.)
- Turn off the room and suite lights
- Lock room and suite door (where applicable)
- Return all checked out equipment to your community service desk
- Return any temporary fobs, room or suite keys to your community service desk
- Pick up all packages and mail from your community service desk
- Remove any laundry you may have left in the building laundry room
There may be some building specific instructions you need to follow, so please be sure you are watching for informational meetings about Winter Break check-out by your RA.
Good luck with the end of the semester and finals! If you have questions about the end of semester process, please contact the University Housing office, your RA, or the service desk for your community.
Katrina J. Pawvluk
Associate Director for Housing Operations