Placement Tests Due May 21


As part of the advising and course registration process for your first semester, you are asked to take a number of placement tests to ensure you’re registered for the correct courses.

If you plan to take a chemistry, foreign language, or math course at NC State, you probably need to take a placement test for that subject. All tests are available online and should be taken by Friday, May 21, 2021. It’s important to take these tests by the deadline so your academic advisors can provide timely advising as you get ready to register for fall courses.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to take the placement tests?
Placement test requirements differ based upon your major, incoming credit (see below), etc. Visit of the First-Year Placement Test website to determine if the tests are required for your academic program and if have an exemption (e.g., AP scores, dual enrollment credit, etc.).

How do I take the placement tests?
Chemistry, foreign language, and math placement tests are all online tests you can take now. Visit the First-Year Placement Test website to access the tests.

Is there a writing placement test?
No, there is not a test. However, you should visit the first-year writing placement chart to determine if you are exempt from the first-year writing requirement (ENG 101) based on a standardized test score.

What if I have AP/IB test scores that are in process or have not been sent to NC State yet? Should I take the placement test?
Yes, take the tests by May 21 to ensure timely advising and registration. After your AP/IB test scores come in, make sure you request the scores be sent to NC State (if you have not already done so). Once your scores are processed by NC State, you can adjust your class schedule if needed.

What is the deadline to complete the placement tests?
Take the chemistry, foreign language, and math placement tests online by Thursday, May 21, 2021. If you do not take the tests by this deadline, your fall course registration may be impacted. If you cannot take the tests by May 21, you should take them as soon as possible after May 21.

Are testing accommodations available?
If you have a disability and need testing accommodations for placement tests, you should first register with the Disability Resource Office (DRO). Once registered, you should email the placement exam contact person and copy the DRO service provider so a verification email can be sent.

What if I don’t have a computer or internet access?
Please contact New Student Programs at or 919.515.1234 and we will assist you in troubleshooting.

Additional Questions?
Reply to this email, and we are happy to assist!

This message was sent to {{First}} {{Last}}
Twitter Twitter Instagram Instagram