Innovation and economic engagement are as central to NC State’s communications as they are to the university’s mission.
NC State’s work makes an impact. Our innovations drive economic development throughout North Carolina, across the country and around the world. That’s why innovation and economic engagement are core themes of our communication efforts. This site collects examples of our communications from advertising campaigns, Web initiatives, print pieces and elsewhere. The assortment presented here is not comprehensive; it draws only from central university communications and not the many other economic-impact messages distributed by colleges and units at NC State.
The Chancellor’s Report is the university’s primary annual report to key donors and audiences, highlighting areas of importance to NC State. Over the last few years, the report has promoted the university’s economic engagement activities and impact through a variety of stories.
NC State’s annual institutional message sets the tone for its marketing communications. It primarily consists of a television ad that appears during sporting events, but it also has a strong presence on the Web, in print and elsewhere.
The 2011 message focused on value, academic quality and economic growth. NC State and its alumni pump $7.3 billion a year into North Carolina's economy.
The 2012 message illustrated the power of our work to transform research, lives, economies and environments.
The 2013 message is simple and direct: “Think and Do.” That message focuses on the real-world impact of the university’s research, scholarship and extension.
Internal and External Communications
- NC State Homepage Features
At ncsu.edu, we tell NC State’s story to an audience of millions.
Results is NC State’s journal of research, innovation and economic development.
- News Releases
News releases carry the NC State story to the news media.
- The Bulletin
The Bulletin is NC State’s internal newsletter for faculty, staff and key constituents.
NC State homepage features regularly focus on the economic impact of NC State’s cutting-edge research, technology and scholarship.
Results magazine has regularly reported on economic growth spurred by NC State research — startups and spinoffs, new products and more.
- A New Dawn for Solar Products (April 7, 2014)
- How Cool Is This? (April 7, 2014)
- Pinehurst No. 2 Goes Native for U.S. Opens (April 7, 2014)
- Reaping a Healthy Harvest (April 7, 2014)
- Better Teaching, Better Learning (April 7, 2014)
- High-Powered Punch (Sept. 10, 2013)
- The Wright Way (Sept. 10, 2013)
- Kudos: PlatiNix Quickly Earning Honors (Sept. 10, 2013)
- Progress toward Products (Sept. 10, 2013)
- Sharing Solutions (Sept. 10, 2013)
- NC State Fast 15 (March 13, 2013)
- Agile Sciences: From Idea to Enterprise (March 13, 2013)
NC State’s economic development and impact messages are embedded in many university news releases and the resulting coverage.
- $3 Million Gift to NC State University Seeds Rural Student Access Initiative (March 10, 2014)
- Sischo Named Vice Chancellor for Advancement at NC State (Feb. 26, 2014)
- NC State Announces $50 Million Gift from Park Foundation (Sept. 27, 2013)
- NC State Partners With National Security Agency on Big-Data Lab (Aug. 15, 2013)
- NC State Hosts “Uncovering Southwest Raleigh” (May 17, 2013)
- NC State Leads Summit on Economic Development (Feb. 26, 2013)
- NC State Hosts Summit on University Role in Driving Economy (Feb. 25, 2013)
Stories from the Bulletin are broadcast across campus communication channels. Media also review the Bulletin for story ideas, and an email push is distributed to about 10,000 people weekly.
- Nonproliferation Work Scores $25 Million (April 17, 2014)
- A Healthy Harvest (April 16, 2014)
- NC State Hits Pay Dirt With New Mulch (March 26, 2014)
- NC State Heads Climate Change Hub (Feb. 6, 2014)
- NC State to Lead Clean Energy Institute (Jan. 15, 2014)
- First in the Future of Flight (Nov. 7, 2013)
- Campus Events Tout Manufacturing (Sept. 26, 2013)
- Innovation Summit Focuses on Jobs (Feb. 27, 2013)
- Big Names, Big Ideas at EIF (Feb. 14, 2013)
- Grant Boosts Local Food Access (Feb. 13, 2013)
- Work on Poultry Virus Honored (Feb. 8, 2013)
- Faculty Fight Asian Soybean Rust (Jan. 28, 2013)
- First Projects for Eastman Funding Selected (Jan. 17, 2013)
Our advertising campaigns over the last three years have focused on how NC State turns research and academic innovations into real-world solutions that create prosperity. We’ve featured our strong record of launching new industry clusters, producing job-ready grads and reinventing agriculture in North Carolina.
By the Numbers
Two publications — Pride Points and our annual Fact Book — give a quick view of NC State’s best, most impactful work.
- Pride Points
- Fact Book
University Communications maintains a Pride Points webpage that provides details about the university’s latest accomplishments, rankings, awards and honors. The site is a resource for faculty, staff and constituents who need quick access to accurate information about the impact of NC State’s scientific research and academic excellence.
- More than 800 U.S. patents, and more than 1,500 worldwide, yielding more than 400 consumer products
- 100+ spinoff companies creating thousands of new jobs in North Carolina and across the nation
- Alumni account for $5.6 billion of income in North Carolina annually
- Highest starting salaries for graduates among 16 North Carolina colleges and universities
NC State annually creates a fact book highlighting the university’s work and economic impact for key constituents including policymakers, corporate and government partners, donors and potential donors, among others. This asset is not available digitally. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy.
- Each dollar North Carolina spends on NC State puts $8 back into the state’s economy.
- Since 2000, NC State’s Industrial Extension Service has returned $2.65 billion in direct gain to North Carolina businesses.
- Our centers and institutes engage with more than 190 corporate, government and nonprofit partners.
- Venture capital investment in NC State research has totaled more than $1.5 billion to date.
Transforming Economies Summit
In February 2013, NC State hosted academic, business and thought leaders in a daylong summit on universities’ role in driving economic growth. Topics included university-industry partnership, the role of land-grant universities and the creation of new industry clusters around academic research.
In addition to coverage in NC State publications and advertising, economic engagement has a permanent home on campus and in core sections of the university Web presence.
From training tomorrow’s workforce to supporting today’s entrepreneurs, we drive growth.
Our outreach and engagement efforts put NC State innovation to work in the real world.
NC State’s innovative culture yields research that creates prosperity.