Officially recognized student groups may purchase merchandise that displays both the student organization’s name and logo and university trademarks with written permission of the Trademark Licensing Office. An approved Trademark Use Request is required before ordering any product with the university trademarks. A copy must be submitted to the vendor with each order.
- Implying NC State University’s endorsement, approval or underwriting of any organization, product, activity or service.
- References to alcohol, illegal substances, sexually explicit graphics, weapons or profanity.
- Uses that may be demeaning to individuals or institutions, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, gender or disability-related matters.
- Use with unauthorized use of other’s trademarks in conjunction with the university’s trademarks or word-marks.
Products for Resale
All products purchased by student organizations that use the university’s word-marks or trademarks must be ordered from a company that has a license to use the trademarks. These companies are required by their contracts to pay the university a royalty on each sale, comply with the university’s Code of Conduct and to be familiar with the university’s trademark approval process. On products that are not for sale, an exemption will be granted by the Trademark Licensing office on the Trademark Use Request form, and the vendor will not be required to pay royalties. Any product that is resold is subject to a royalty, even those used for fund raising and charities, T-shirts sold to club members or those items where the price of the product is built into a fee.
Advertising, Posters, Flyers, Giveaways
Any type of promotional item or advertising that uses any of the university trademarks must receive pre-approval by the Trademark Licensing Office and must not imply NC State University’s endorsement, approval or underwriting of any business, organization, product, activity or service.
Officially recognized club sports teams may purchase merchandise with the team’s name and university marks with the prior approval of the Assistant Director, Club Sports and the Trademark Licensing Office. Clubs should fill out the Trademark Use Request form, along with the proposed design, and submit it to the assistant director, who will forward to the trademark office for final approval.
- Club Sports graphic designs must identify the team as a club
- The club name should be the primary graphic with the NC State marks secondary.